Delicate Night by Stephen Hancock
Tuesday, 27th August 2013

Delicate Night

by Stephen Hancock

During my first ever visit to Arches National Park I did not want to miss the sunset and took off like a flash along the trail with my sweetheart along side. We made it about half way up and she said "there is not need to push so hard." I reminded her that I am not able to slow the sun and that we needed to press on. We made it to the top platform before the narrow trail to the arch and people were looking at me strange. I had exhausted myself and had turn a nice pasty shade of white. After a short rest I was back in action and felt great but I gained a tremendous respect for the heat and elevation gain while hiking this park. I felt so great in fact that I decided on the fly that we should outlast all the tourists to take some night shots of the Delicate Arch and do a little light painting. Looking back it might have been my internal system subliminally suggesting that I stay and rest a little longer but either way I'm glad we stuck it out and I was able to make this this shot. It's been one of my favorites ever since.
Equipment: Canon 5DM2, Canon 17-40, Vanguard LT-32 Tri-pod
Stephen Hancock
I currently living in Penticton, British Columbia and have made the transition to full time photographer. (Finally) I enjoy all aspects of photography but ever since day one I have been drawn to the night sky and producing low light images. I made the transition to full time in the spring of 2013 to focus my efforts on the production of a film / documentary featuring the beautiful scenery of British Columbia and the amazing night sky. Targeted release date for 'Beautiful places and wide open spaces" is Spring of 2016.

Delicate Night by Stephen Hancock was photo of the day on Tuesday, 27th August 2013. It is tagged . You can leave a comment below.

22 Comments

27th August 2013 at 1:10 am

Awesome Capture!

27th August 2013 at 1:17 am

I’ve seen many times the arch and many more starry nights, but this one is special. Fantastic capture and presentation Stephen. Big congrats on your excellent win! Lorenzo

p goldstone

27th August 2013 at 5:04 am

This picture is so beautiful. I could just gaze at it all day. Do you sell any of your work and if so, where may I purchase a print of this photo? Thank you for sharing.

RR

27th August 2013 at 7:38 am

I am not sure that I agree with this picture. It’s not very natural. I don’t see how the arch could be lit like that without artificial lighting. It does not remind me of the great nature, but only an artificial one that we all try to get away from.

Bonnie

27th August 2013 at 11:25 am

Just stunning! Colors are beautiful in this great shot today!

Liz

27th August 2013 at 11:43 am

I love the photo but love the story even more!

27th August 2013 at 1:28 pm

Stephen, your story of the journey to get to the photo was as great as the beautiful image. What photog hasn’t rushed his/her spouse to get to a location? I know I sure have on many occasions! Absolutely lovely shot! Glad you were there to get it and inspire all of us!

Inés

27th August 2013 at 2:01 pm

Stephen, congrats! This capture is exquisite..and yes the word ‘tender’ is so appropriate to this shot. It would appear the cosmos was rewarding your ‘star trek’ as it were,: every thing is aligned so beautifully, the colors are soft against a strong mighty arch, the stars all where they ‘should be’. It is a perfect moment in time. Bravo!

27th August 2013 at 3:49 pm

Wow!!! The times you don’t plan for sometimes give you the very best shots and this proves it!

27th August 2013 at 3:57 pm

Soooo well done! Fantastic detail

27th August 2013 at 4:05 pm

That wedge shaped light on the ground nicely matches the Milky Way.

27th August 2013 at 4:16 pm

I’ve been to the Arch several times but never got an image of this quality.

Anne Egli

27th August 2013 at 4:24 pm

Wow, what a shot with the night sky, but the sun lighting the arch. It was certainly worth all your effort, and thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Antonio

27th August 2013 at 9:05 pm

Amazing shot, really suggestive and very impressive!!

Tazmin shariff

27th August 2013 at 9:51 pm

Spellbinding! The angle looks as if the arch were two hands clasped in awe and reverence before the star-filled sky and mayesty of nature

27th August 2013 at 10:27 pm

Beautiful Image, Stephen! It rreminds me of shooting a similar arch in the Alabama Hills at the foot of Mount Whitney in California just two months ago. Night photography has become a passion of mine as well.

tjay

27th August 2013 at 11:03 pm

Definitely worth the dedication and hard work to get there. Beautiful image Stephen.

Sheila Hofer

28th August 2013 at 3:43 am

WOW WHAT A SHOT.JUST BEAUTIFUL.WISH I WAS THERE IT LOOKS SOOOO PEACEFUL.
THANK YOU FOR THIS.

2nd September 2013 at 1:27 am

I want to thank everyone for the amazing feedback! I’ve been traveling for the past 2 weeks and just sat down at my computer. The first email opened was the weekly update from Earthshots.org and I see my image had been published by earthshots and earned the honor of photo of the day. Awesome surprise!

David

2nd September 2013 at 1:57 am

Stellar work Stephen.

3rd September 2013 at 12:53 pm

A really stunning image! You nailed it. This tops all the recent Milky Way shots I’ve been seeing this summer.
I was at arches last month and made that hike in the dark before dawn on my last day there. It is really a sacred place.
Congratulations on your move last Spring! I did the same last year, ditched my real estate career to pursue my photography passion. I’m sure you are much happier now, as I am, living the dream of life’s promise. Cheers! ~Captain Photo

7th September 2013 at 4:15 pm

A great perspective here, well done!