Foggy Moon Bridge Morning by Roman Johnston
Sunday, 13th November 2011

Foggy Moon Bridge Morning

by Roman Johnston

3 years have passed since I have visited these magical gardens in the fall. I woke early that morning to check the weather report and find FOG in the forecast. Giddy with anticipation I arrived early like a kid rushing downstiars on Christmas morning. It was one of my favorite shoots to date.
Equipment: Nikon D300, Tokina 12-24, Gitzo Tripod, Cable Release
Roman Johnston
Beauty isn’t uncommon. Beauty is all around us. All we need to do is open our eyes to it. The pace of our world has gotten to a point that we concentrate on where we are going instead of slowing down and seeing what is right in front of us. That is where my work comes from. Taking the time to slow down, visiting everyday events that amaze us. Our common getaways, like tulip festivals, or that hike back to a local waterfall. If you arrive a little earlier than normal, you can almost feel the vibe of the place before the buzz of activity comes in and divides your attention. Get a little lost….not everyone who wanders is lost, and not everyone lost is trying to be found. So take a walk with me, discover a waterfall through the trees, or enjoy a foggy morning in the Japanese Garden. Slow down and breathe. Remember that you are supposed to be in balance with your world, and enjoy your day.

Foggy Moon Bridge Morning by Roman Johnston was photo of the day on Sunday, 13th November 2011. It is tagged , , . You can leave a comment below.

49 Comments

13th November 2011 at 1:34 am

Wow! This is just perfect! I love the colors, the fog, the intensity of the greens and reds, the garden…all of it. Nice work!!

Terri

13th November 2011 at 1:41 am

I just came back from who knows how long a viewing of photos at the Hubble site, seeing Nebula after Nebula and galaxy after galaxy–all stunning in color and design. Then I opened my home page to this very down-to-Earth photo, and it was such a PERFECT and BEAUTIFUL landing. Thank you.

Julie

13th November 2011 at 3:02 am

Absolutely beautiful. Your photo shows why fall is my favorite season. What garden is this?

13th November 2011 at 3:18 am

We had a mostly grey day in these parts-thanks for brightening it up considerably! The colors are so real I can touch them. Wonderful image!

shivonne

13th November 2011 at 9:27 am

Wow, this is one of the most beautiful photos I have seen to date on here.

13th November 2011 at 10:00 am

This looks like a truly magical place; there is nothing you could improve here.

13th November 2011 at 10:01 am

A very nice picture, nicely framed and perfectly exposed.

13th November 2011 at 11:28 am

awesome, love the rich colours. Beautiful!!!

C. Fitzgerald

13th November 2011 at 11:43 am

Congrats on a beautiful picture, from your magical morning.

13th November 2011 at 12:25 pm

A beautiful photograph to go along with a beautiful message.

Peggy

13th November 2011 at 1:14 pm

I usually only write positive things, but your lecture on beauty is over the top and not necessary. You’re “preaching to the choir.” Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Like your message, the photo is too “busy” for my tastes.

Joe

13th November 2011 at 1:53 pm

Please don’t allow one apple to ruin the barrrel. I agree with your message as well as all of the positive things said about this image. Very few photographer would have past up the opportuity to make this shot.

Bob Magilacutty

13th November 2011 at 2:53 pm

Peggy, you got PMS ? Lighten up baby.

A very beautiful place Roman. Reminds me of where I grew up Overveen.
You have an amazing website as well. Thank you for posting.

Kathy

13th November 2011 at 2:56 pm

Love the rich colors and the softness of the fog!

Elena

13th November 2011 at 3:41 pm

Shots like this are why i love photography. Thank you for seeing the beauty around you.

Helen Hart

13th November 2011 at 4:09 pm

In a word, SPECTACULAR! What colors, composition, the works.

DIANE

13th November 2011 at 4:33 pm

SIMPLY PERFECT!

Laura

13th November 2011 at 5:02 pm

Incredibly beautiful photo … incredibly thoughtful & beautiful message which I apprecited very much!

13th November 2011 at 5:09 pm

Love the image and love your biography. Really beautiful and heartfelt.

13th November 2011 at 5:39 pm

Amazing color and great fog :)

13th November 2011 at 5:42 pm

This is truly a Heavenly place with God’s Palet of colors! What a peaceful place to be. God Bless

leslie

13th November 2011 at 6:11 pm

A friend of mine posted this to her facebook wall — guess that’s what she did. i.e: It appeared in my facebook messages ~ however it’s done(?) Yep; I too think Fall is one of the best times to take pics(!) The colors are all natural, automatically taking on splendid and MANY colors. So, concerning Peggy’s coment above, ~ talk to God about all of the colors these trees naturally take on. I also must admit — this pic seems to be amazingly focused; ~ but then, if it’s a very focused pic — then it’s more true-to-life, I’d say. If the photographer actually touched this photo up w/paint or something, then I could see your point. I think not. So, apparently, there ARE places like this on earth which are REALLY authentic. I say, people like Peggy should visit spots like this in person, and see that this is NOT contrived or anything; though the landscaping may be Japanese (hee)? And to suggest that Roman/photographer is giving a “lecture!! ” by suggesting people take more time to notice and ENJOY beautiful nature, — is kind of funny, I think! It’s meant more as a reminder, I’d say ~ as I must admit, as a human being myself, that I too often get caught up in my own daily life, — often neglecting to notice (NOT out of obligation, indeed) the constant, beautiful, calm, etc essence of nature — tis all.

Khalid

13th November 2011 at 6:27 pm

Amazing colors…congrats

13th November 2011 at 7:03 pm

Great, strongly saturated yet natural colors, well captured! The central bridge is well guiding the eye. Congratulations!

13th November 2011 at 8:04 pm

Fantastic composition and colors and the fog is such a wonderful plus. Love this! Congratulations.

Tazmin Shariff

13th November 2011 at 8:41 pm

Stunning! Where is this?

Sharon

13th November 2011 at 9:19 pm

Was having a bad day until I viewed your beautiful photo. So real and I am right in the middle of a beautiful garden. Thanks so very much for a wonderful break in my bleak day!!!!!!!!!!

jon

13th November 2011 at 9:23 pm

stunning! breathtaking! so beautiful; so serene!

enrico cobianchi

13th November 2011 at 9:38 pm

It’s an amazing photo with vibrant colours. I greatly appreciate it and your message, which I was very pleased to read! So my heartfelt congratulations……..I wish I could have a walk in this fantastic scenery!!! CIAO from ITALY!!

14th November 2011 at 12:53 am

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL ROMAN, YOU HAVE CAPTURED A MASTERPIECE!
CONGRATS! SOMEDAY I WILL GET TO YOUR LEVEL.

Kim Barnes

14th November 2011 at 2:01 am

What a beautiful shot!!! I love the colors! Where was this photo taken?

Shirley Schumacher

14th November 2011 at 2:42 am

My sister Diane T. sent this link to me. The second I saw it I knew it was the Japanese Gardens (Portland,Or.) Think I stood in Romans exact foot-steps and saw this view (another time of year). I thought it was awesome to see,with my own eyes. But he has captured it in a magical moment in time, with a true artists eye. Wow!

Jeannine Forgues-Setterlund

14th November 2011 at 3:12 am

Congrat on capturing such awesome beauty and for sharing it with us all. I live in Maine and love any shots that capture a rolling fog to enhance the land beauty. There is something so mesmerizing about the stillness of the fog. Even when one is on the ski slops surrounded with snow, trees and fog that muffles everything around.

sam ali

14th November 2011 at 4:13 am

all i can say is that words can not decribe…wooooooooooooooow..very very nice picure..

14th November 2011 at 7:07 am

Without a doubt my favorite image from this place.. you see so many images from here but none this good ! Congrats !

Dominic Beeton

14th November 2011 at 10:16 am

What extraordinary colours. Nature always has the ability to confound. Great shot.

Selva

14th November 2011 at 11:26 am

Fantastic.. i wish i’m there

14th November 2011 at 1:10 pm

Nice!

Joyce

14th November 2011 at 2:47 pm

Wow, beautiful photo and if you don’t mind, it will be my screensaver. And I liked what you wrote as well. We all need to be reminded from time to time, to “stop and smell the roses”. Thanks for sharing :-)

14th November 2011 at 2:57 pm

Nice colors!

14th November 2011 at 3:19 pm

Thank you very much for the kind comments and feedback. It means a lot to me that the peace and beauty translated so well for you all. The gardens are “Portland Japanese Gardens” and one of my favorite places to decompress. Thank you all for taking a peek.

Patti Punda

14th November 2011 at 4:19 pm

I love as picture. I have it as my desktop picture. Could you please tell us where it was taken?
We love the mountains and my husband has often backpacked in the Smokies, we know what you mean about feeling the vibe of the wilderness. It’s tangeible.

14th November 2011 at 7:13 pm

I can see why! The colors of the trees are almost like candy. Just beautiful :)

15th November 2011 at 5:41 pm

Hello Patti – The picture was taken in Portland at the “Japanese Garden”. I am familiar with “The Smokies” being born in Roanoke Va. :~)

Kimberly – Thank you!!

16th November 2011 at 8:58 pm

I AM BREATHLESS!!!!!!! THIS IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PICTURE I HAVE EVER SEEN. FALL IS MY FAVORITE TIME OF THE YEAR. HOW CAN I GET A COPY OF THIS. I CAN’T AFFORD $295. DO YOU HAVE A MUCH SMALLER VERSION OF THIS?

DIANE-THANK YOU!!!!!

ggriffin

19th November 2011 at 12:35 am

Perfect picture! I’m awestruck.

Tom Garrett

22nd November 2011 at 5:29 am

A stunningly beautiful image. In my High School years, long,long ago, I lived at Hillsboro, Oregon and our family visited the Rose Gardens etc. often. I believe the Japanese Garden was
begun years later and I have never gotten to see it completed so your photograph is a real treat for me. Thank you Roman!

Calvin

30th December 2011 at 1:23 am

If this Place is’nt in Heaven,…then,I don’t won’t to go…

Tazmin Shariff

30th August 2012 at 4:22 am

Love the vivid colours, contrast and Japanese bridge!